Thursday, May 1, 2014

Tempest Rising (Jane True, #1) by Nicole Peeler

Tempest Rising (Jane True, #1)Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
I'm hovering around a 3.4 but rounding up for good feels.

No spoilers and colorful language abound!


 photo I_Regret_Nothing_Gif_zps276cd92c.gif


When I saw this cover awhile back I immediately wanted this series. I enjoy a book that exudes it's personality in the cover art and provides you with a good sense of where it is headed.


Girly, quirky, kitschy, humorous.




This isn't really urban fantasy, not quite mystery either, pretty heavy on paranormal romance at times, I would say all three but non individually. Nothing about Jane True is all that kickass, she's more a culmination of events in her life rather than a cultivated character. Jane allows her tragic past to define her and in Tempest Rising we see a 26 year old girl come to grips with who she is and who she wants to be. There is one particular aspect about Jane that I really responded to and that was the way she embraced her sexuality without shame or excuses. All too often we see young female heroines who shy away from their sexuality and deny their wants and needs unless it comes prepackaged in a Disney Princess - all consuming love facade. I all but jumped up and clapped when Jane decided to act on her wants with a man who treated her with respect but without the illusion of a monogamous relationship. It was a mutually beneficial choice made by two consenting adults without the slightest hint of slut shaming. FUCK YES.

Can we all take a minute and just appreciate the shit out of that?


 photo tumblr_m4yf85OLZC1qlwg67_zpsbb3cbfa1.gif


/feministrant. That really needed to be acknowledged.

So some shit happens and Jane's true heritage is revealed to her, along with many of those in her tiny town of Rockabill, Maine. A vampire investigator named Ryu shows up after the mysterious death of a half-ling and he's all about wooing her.


 photo tumblr_mkn5toIhPP1rbalzco1_500_zps6dfc4cf2.gif


Slow your roll, Ryu. But then…


 photo tumblr_ljcttcboj21qdlkgg_zps64b9d576.gif


…anyways

The world building is really fun, every mythical creature you can think of and some you wouldn't expect were all up in this. The pace and structure reminds me very much of the Sookie books but I liked those for the most part. I typically don't connect with a first installment in a series, but this one was really engaging. Looking forward to starting the second!










View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment