Sunday, June 29, 2014

Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels, #7) by Ilona Andrews

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No spoilers and colorful language abound! I promise, no spoilers at all, I barely even talk about the plot because spoilers suck.


I have been waiting for this, and it is everything I didn't know I wanted.







It's moments like this that I question why the hell I even try to review books. I clearly have nothing intelligent to add to the conversation, I'm all over here like HEY GUYS HEY YEAH THIS IS AWESOME, GUYS! GUYS? NO REALLY, IT IS. I LOVE IT.  








Then I have to check myself because I'm an adult, with a book blog and should have my shit together. Let's be real, mmkay? This ish is magnificent. Now, I'm not talking about just Magic Breaks, I'm talking about this powerhouse of a series. How do they keep writing books that are this good? HOW IS IT EVEN POSSIBLE? Everyone knows that long running series tend to fade, authors get bored or uninspired, plots become repetitive, not this duo, they deliver every fucking time.

I've heard the grumbles of some longtime fans that are not pleased with this installment, le sigh. Magic Breaks is fantastic! The characters in this series are so authentic that it can be alarming when they do something that you don't percieve as them. I can see why some have coined "anti-Kate" behavior but from my point of view, extenuating circumstances and all that jazz can make a bitch be crazy. Just saying.

 Typically this series reads as though it effortlessly came together, and perhaps that's the magic in but the last two books have felt different, but it's a good thing, people. Sometimes for us characters to grow they must be pushed in a direction they don't necessarily want to go in, and that's exactly what this feels like. This book actually reads very much like the first installment, lots of things happening, but without a lot of obvious reasoning. More a showcase of controlled circumstances in order to lay down the foundation for a new direction. In many ways this is a first installment, as in the first that visibly marks the end and I find it very bittersweet but also thrilling.




So, why the 4 stars instead of 5? Well… there is a section where things get weird. Real weird. "Crinkle your nose and look around you pondering how things got here" weird. You'll know it when you get there.





THERE ARE SO MANY THINGS I WANT TO TALK ABOUT, AND HOW HAPPY I AM ABOUT THEM. BUT … BUT… SPOILERS DAMMIT. This is the third review I've written, because I keep derailing into plot points and I just refuse to do that to you. This is all I can say for now.

Top Five Favorite Aspects of Magic Breaks


  1.  Roland and his eerily disarming persona. 
  2.  Curran and the stance he takes.
  3.  Kate going absolutely ballistic. 
  4.  Andrea because love
  5.  That fucking ending. 


My other reviews for this series:
Magic Bites
Magic Burns
Magic Strikes
Magic Bleeds
Magic Slays
Magic Rises





No comments:

Post a Comment