Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2) by Ilona Andrews

Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2)Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No spoilers! Definitely colorful language abound!


Magic Bites Review

I think the first thing I would like to address here is directly to Kate.

My dear Kate, how I adore you on so many levels it's almost unnerving how much I like you. I may or may not have a girl crush on your badassery, however we need to clear somethings up. First of all I'm getting real tired of your obsession that you should be able to control everything at all times. Then subsequently the way you tear yourself down for not being baddass enough/quick enough/clairvoyant enough/etc. I am not one to hold hands in relationships waxing your delicate ego to a perfect shine, nope that's not me. You want to tear yourself down? Sure OK, I'm going to go over here now and ignore your childish antics, let me know when you are ready to be realistic and empowered. Second and perhaps less more importantly if you don't ride Curran like it's your last day on earth and his scepter is the key to your salvation, I'm going to rage quit.



You hear me?

 photo anigif_enhanced-buzz-30231-1377010504-17_zpsc98b441c.gif



I feel like I might be missing some bigger points of this series because I'm anxiously waiting for Curran to appear. It's a little unhealthy but I can't help myself. I want. I am drunk on all the angsty flirty fighting nonsense.

Now, lets talk about the book!
We get to see new depths of Kate in Magic Burns, she walks a little closer the edge of dangerous and is becoming what I feel to be more comfortable with who she is. For the first time we get a glimpse into how powerful she really is and how much she must restrain herself to fit in with those around her. She's always hinting about how similar she is with the People but in actuality I believe her path much more resembles that of the shapechangers. There was a touch less denial of herself and therefor less fear of those around her finding out, and then as a byproduct she is able to experience emotions it's clear she tries to snuff out (attachment/arousal/being vulnerable/acceptance). Her merc persona is exactly that, a carefully constructed mask she wears as protection of herself and those around her. As I expected the new depths was not solely with our heroine but also with the world I.A. is masterfully unveiling. I particularly enjoyed the introduction of Andrea and subsequently leading us to the hyena territory. Kate's time spent there speaks loudly on the relationship the shapechangers have internally and the influences their animal form has over their human form, it is complex and enthralling.

Side note: Bathroom scene, sex toys all over the bathroom floor, considering whose home it was gave me the giggles. Also the bit about food made me down right giddy! Giddy I tell you, and lusty and excited and anxious and pervy. Ok OK I TOLD YOU I CAN'T STOP. DON'T JUDGE ME.

I feel the last sentence in this book sums up how I felt about it entirely, "Oh boy".

 Mmmhmm.

HOW CAN SHE POINT AT THE DOOR. MALARKY.

 photo ohboy_zpsc31fd9ed.gif


Oh boy is right Kate, bring it on Magic Strikes!












View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment