Thursday, April 10, 2014

Red Fox (Experiment in Terror, #2) by Karina Halle

Red Fox (Experiment in Terror, #2)Red Fox by Karina Halle

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Buddy read with my babes Angela


☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
3.5 stars but rounding up because you don't own me.


No spoilers and colorful language abound!

When I get wind of an already established series that I should be reading, I systematically avoid every single thing posted about it. I'm so thorough about this that I often have little to no idea on what it's even about. Halfway through Darkhouse it was brought to my attention that there is already 8 books published, with a 9th on the way and smattering of novellas. As a commitment-phobe this immediately made me anxious, I like to finish what I start but I didn't know if I was in the head space to take on the series as a whole. I didn't love Darkhouse, but that's true to form as I typically don't like most first installments in a long running series, I am pretty efficient at keeping an open mind till the dreaded third book, or as I like to call it, "shit or get off the pot" installment. It's when you really know if the author has what it takes to keep you emotionally invested, halfway through my journey, I can confidentially say:




 photo tumblr_ll3rum8FR61qcqf9r_zps64687a11.gif


To be totally honest I have a lot of feelings and not enough thoughts , at least not enough eloquent ones to make up a review. I just want to quote and gif this shit up, I won't but I want to. I will say that I'm encouraged to see most of what really aggravated me in Darkhouse is significantly less grating, particularly Dex. I really did not care for him, maybe because he reminds me of someone I used to know. Maybe I was in love with this lunatic. Maybe I remember what Perry is feeling. Maybe I know how this ends in real life. Maybe I chose myself over him and I don't see Perry doing that. Maybe that makes me angry. Maybe I have a soft spot for him despite myself. Maybe that makes me angry as well. This is all hypothetical, of course.

On the flip side the things I did like about Darkhouse still ring true. I just get Perry, she reminds me of an old friend, one I love dearly. She is familiar, she makes me smile, she pisses me off. I also love how oddly creepy the plot is becoming, it's not terrifying but it just gets under my skin and I'm really looking forward to seeing how this all unfolds. I enjoy the peculiar magnetism between Perry and Dex, I am always a sucker for the angsty nonsense because reasons /


 photo anigif_enhanced-buzz-25492-1394480136-6_zps8e5e5603.gif





I can't focus. I have the whole series on my Kindle.


 photo outtaheregif_zps3d158e7b.gif








View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment